Guide Dogs - Guide Dogs of America - International Guiding Eyes
13445 Glenoaks Boulevard
Data Provided By
Western Colorado 2-1-1 - WC 211
Description of Service
Guide Dogs of America breeds, raises and trains guide dogs for the visually impaired.
Provides room and board for the visually impaired individuals at the facility where, they are instructed in the use of their guide dog.
Out of State
Statewide, Nationwide, and Canada
Must complete a written application, along with reports from a physician and go through a personal interview.
- Must be legally blind- Be physically able to walk a mile or 2 each day
- Be at least 18 years of age- Have completed formal Orientation & Mobility Training
- Be experienced, independent traveler- Able to direct a dog through at least 3-4 meaningful routes on a daily basis
- Be able to provide and afford necessary care for the ownership of the dog- Be motivated to accept the hard work and responsibility it takes to be a guide dog partner
- Provide leadership and sound judgment, and understanding that training and development continues throughout the life of the team
The individual must be legally blind and an independent traveler and over the age of 18.