LEAP (PO Box 39200) - Douglas County Department of Human Services
PO Box 39200 - Douglas County Department of Human Services
Data Provided By
Mile High United Way - MHUW
Description of Service
Helps qualifying low-income households cover part of their winter home heating costs from November 1st - April 30th. Once benefits are approved, LEAP can provide a financial credit directly to the heat supplier, or it can place the credit on a QUEST card to pay for a heating source such as wood, coal, propane, or for heat billed on a shared meter. Jefferson County's LEAP program is administered by Discover Goodwill of Southern & Western Colorado.
***There was an increase of the prior heating season’s benefits so each person that was approved during the LEAP season (between the Nov 1 2016 thru April 30, 2017 heating season) received $125 and a notice was sent to them informing them of the extra payment***
For clients who received LEAP last year and have not moved, an application packet will be mailed to their address by November 1st. Otherwise, visit the website to download an application. Mail, fax, or email a completed application and identification paperwork to Discover Goodwill of Southern & Western Colorado, which administers the LEAP program. Call Discover Goodwill of Southern & Western Colorado's LEAP (HEAT-HELP) line for more information.
Clients must provide copies of the following:
- Most recent utility bill OR rent receipt if heat is included in your rent
- Proof of all household income (pay stubs, award letters, loans, etc.)
- Valid Photo ID
Valid forms of identification include:
- Colorado Driver’s License or Colorado ID card
- US Military or Dependent ID card
- US Coast Guard Merchant Mariner card
- Native American Tribal document
Call the LEAP hotline at 1-866-432-8435 or visit the website at www.EnergyOutreach.org to locate a partner agency in the county who may be able to help. Please call first, as most agencies require an appointment to request an application. An application may take up to 50 business days to process. Colorado PEAK provides a questionnaire that will give people answers about whether or not they may qualify for benefits for programs that provide food assistance, cash assistance, WIC supplemental nutrition benefits, and other types of assistance. Access Colorado PEAK at: https://coloradopeak.secure.force.com/
For additional information about LEAP visit www.DiscoverMyGoodwill.org/LEAP
Eligible individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Pay home heating costs to an energy provider, fuel dealer (propane, natural gas or wood), or as part of rent;
- Are permanent legal residents of the United States and Colorado or have household members that are U.S. citizens;
- Provide proof of lawful presence in the U.S.;
- Meet household income guidelines.