Cold Weather Motel Voucher Assistance - Denver Human Services (DHS)
Denver Human Services (DHS)
Data Provided By
Mile High United Way - MHUW
Description of Service
Provides motel vouchers to ensure homeless families are kept together in a safe and temporary place to stay, until a more permanent housing solution is identified. Motel vouchers are issued October 1st - April 30th based upon availability and the following:
- Temperature is 40 degrees or below
- Last resort, on a case-by-case basis
- When all shelters are filled or there is a verified, extenuating circumstance that prevents a person from staying in a shelter
After April, exceptions will only be made through direct email communication from Denver Human Services in regards to the weather forecast for the week.
Walk-in or call for assistance and for more information.
Recipients are required to participate in the following programming:
- Sign a Case Outcome Plan to include housing, employment/training and/or pursuit of additional benefits and resources
- Attend mandatory follow-up meetings
- Follow policies of hotel and staff, program rules and meet expectations
Motel Vouchers may be available at the following locations:
- Denver Human Services: 1200 Federal Blvd, 2nd Fl, Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., (720) 944-4DHS (4347)
- Samaritan House (Families Only), 2301 Lawrence St, Monday - Sunday, 5 p.m. - 8:30 p.m., (303) 294-0241
- Denver Sheriff's Department, 490 W Colfax Ave, Monday - Sunday, 9 p.m. - 9 a.m., (720) 337-0400 (After Hours Line)
During the Cold Weather Policy (October - April), the Denver Sheriff's Department will accept direct referrals who are accompanied by a community partner (i.e. Denver Police Department and Street Outreach Teams).
Vouchers can be extended up to 14 nights, not guaranteed and it depends on the level of cooperation, participation and successful completion of the steps outlined in their case plan. If program is full, resources and referrals will be provided to each family.
Any threats or acts of violence is an immediate dismissal from the program.
Individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Families with children under the age of 18 years
- Families who have not received 14 nights of motel vouchers within the previous 12 consecutive months