The Durango Senior Center is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for all adults age 60 years and older and helping them age with dignity and purpose.
Activities and services include:
HOME CHORE SERVICES which include:
- Installation of grab bars and handrails
- Correction of trip hazards
- Minor step and porch repair
- Small home repairs
- Heavy house cleaning
- Spring and Fall yard clean-up
- Limited snow removal assistance
- Firewood for low income families
***Services are limited. Not able to address roof repairs, structural problems and major furnace, plumbing or electrical problems.
TRANSPORTATION SERVICES provides door-to-door assisted transportation for:
- Medical appointments
- Senior Center lunch and activities
- Exercise classes
- Other shopping needs
***Medicaid clients may use our services for medical transportation with an approval from Medicaid.
MEAL PROGRAMS which include:
- Meals on Wheels-home delivered meals to seniors age 60+ and their spouses Monday-Friday
- Dining at the Durango Senior Center-reservations must be made by 9:30 am for that day. Lunch served at 12:00 pm
SUPPORT GROUPS every month:
- Family Caregiver support group - for people who serve as caregivers for family members or loved ones. Meet twice per month.
- Vision Impaired (VIP) support group - for people who are blind or who are visually impaired. Meets monthly.
- Disabled American Veterans (DAV) support group - facilitated by the Veteran's Service Officer. Meets monthly.
- Widow/Widower's support group - Meets twice per month.
- TOPS (Take off the Pounds Sensibly) - Members support each other with their effort to lose weight and keep it off. Meets weekly.
***For details on different meeting times, see the monthly newsletter for the schedule or call for details.
RECREATIONAL ACTIVITES include:
- Learn to use computers
- Practice Tai Chi, Zumba, Yoga, Line Dancing and more
- "Watch Your Step" class for fall prevention and to improve overall fitness
- Play cards, BINGO and other games
- Play billiards and table tennis
- Study history, music, language and healthy living
- Join the quilting group, craft group or writing group
- Participate in dog training classes in the summertime
***See newsletter on the website for more events and activities guide.
La Plata County
La Plata County
Seniors age 60 or older, their families and caregivers.