Housing and Benefits Services - Center for Independence
245 South Cascade, Montrose - Center for Independence, Western Slope
Data Provided By
Western Colorado 2-1-1 - WC 211
Description of Service
CFI offers housing location assistance, nursing home transition, case management, benefit advocacy and application assistance.
- Assist the consumer in finding possible housing leads.
- Assist the consumer in completing paperwork or applications if needed due to the consumer's disability.
- Advocate on behalf of the consumer in an effort to resolve landlord/tenant issues. Assist the consumer in understanding their rights/responsibilities as a tenant.
- Assist a consumer in finding possible housing options when being discharged from a hospital.
- Assist consumers in finding possible housing options and supports when an individual wishes to move from a nursing home back to the community.
- Work with a consumer to help prevent the possibility of a nursing home placement.
- Assist a consumer in finding possible funding for durable medical or other equipment which would help them to remain independent in their chosen housing environment.
- Assisting the consumer in finding vendors who can do home modifications.
- Answer questions about the ADA, Fair Housing, Service Animals, Therapy Animals and Companion Animals.
Assistance with applying for any Federal or State Benefit program
- Social Security (SSI)
- Social Security Disability Income (SSDI)
- Medicare, Medicaid, Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
- Temporary Aid for Needy Families (TANF/Colorado Works)
- Food Stamps (SNAP), Section 8 Housing Vouchers, Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND)
We are not an emergency services organization. We do not have housing of our own nor do we have funds for rent, security deposits or other emergency situations. We are not a legal agency and cannot give legal advice.
Delta, Gunnison, Hinsdale, Montrose, Ouray, and San Miguel Counties
Call to set up an appointment.
Government Issued ID
Individuals living with a disability.
Fees or Charges
Types of Fees
Hours of Operation
Monday - Thursday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Friday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm