Provides culturally competent advocacy to people with intellectual disabilities (IDD) across their lifespan, across all systems, as individuals and as whole families in the following ways, by:
- Amplifying the voices of people with IDD and their families.
- Not speaking for people
- Teaching people to advocate for themselves
- Speaking on behalf of people who are too vulnerable to speak for themselves.
- Bridging between systems and people with IDD
- Providing integrated and independent advocacy across systems and across the lifespan
- Educating the community through training, modelling, conversation and collaboration
To enable people with intellectual and developmental disabilities to be included as a natural and integral part of community life.
The Association for Community Living (ACL) was founded in Boulder in 1962, incorporated as a chapter of The Arc in 1974, and is the affiliated chapter of The Arc of the United States serving Boulder and Broomfield Counties.