Town of Hillrose

 
General Information
Description of AgencyThe Town of Hillrose offers many community activities and facilities, for all kinds of interests.

Nestled in the heart of what has been dubbed Northeast Colorado's Outback, we have instant access to a variety of ecosystems. The prime agricultural land, sandhills, South Platte River and the nearby Prewitt Reservoir, makes Hillrose an ideal location for sportsmen, wildlife viewing, outdoor recreation, bicycling and a favorite stop for motorcycle runs.

From Hillrose's humble beginnings as a railroad Lincoln Land Trust, through its heyday as a stop on the Denver - Lincoln - Detroit Highway, to the current "bedroom" community, the Town of Hillrose continues to be small town Americana.
HistoryHillrose was Morgan County’s third incorporated town and is still its smallest.

Springing up along the second railroad line constructed in this part of the South Platte Valley, the Burlington, Chicago and Quincy Railroad deemed it necessary to build a connecting spur from Union to Brush to serve the large ranches as a shipping center. Many small farms were made possible by irrigation, no doubt spurred by the 1882 beginning of the Lower Platte & Beaver Canal delivering water to the fertile valley making this an excellent location for a town.

The land for the Town was donated by Mrs. Katherine Emerson to the Lincoln Land Co. with two restrictions: half of the land was to be donated for the town, for streets and parks and the Town and its streets were to be named for her children. Her married daughter Rose Hill was the Town’s namesake but there was already a Rosehill in Colorado so she reversed the order of the names and Hillrose was born. The first streets in town were named after her children: Catherine, Marietta, Dana , Rose and Charles and main street was named Emerson Street.

By 1916 Hillrose had a new school, its third, a doctor, pharmacy, lumber yard, bank, blacksmith, drayage (freight company), hotels, restaurant, post office, mercantile, churches, telephone system, carpenter, alfalfa mill, pickle factory, harness maker, barbers, groceries, creamery, churches, pool hall and even a town band. Incorporated in 1919, Hillrose continued a steady growth until automobile travel made the larger cities more attractive for businesses and Hillrose began its peak then low cycles.
LocationMorgan County
Geographic AreaMorgan, Town of Hilrose,
Intake ProcedureTelephone/walk in,
Funded ByTax Payers, State/Federal Grants, Service Fees
Licensed ByState, City, Federal
Agency TypeCity Government
 
Client Information
Languages SpokenEnglish
 
Availability
Hours of OperationMonday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
 
Contact Information
Contact's NameLynn Golemboski
Contact's PositionClerk
Contact's Phone(970) 847-3761
Contact's Emailtownhillrose@kci.net
Physical Site Address 1315 B Emerson Street
Physical Site City, State, ZipHillrose, Colorado 80733-0001
Mailing Address 1P.O. Box 1
Mailing City, State, ZipHillrose, Colorado 80733
Main Phone(970) 847-3761
Fax(970) 847-3761
Emailtownhillrose@kci.net
Web Addresswww.hillrosecolorado.org
 
Additional Information
Date Agency Entered02/25/2010
SourceWeld
 
Affiliated Programs and Services
This Agency: Town of Hillrose
Affiliated Programs: Town of Hillrose
Affiliated Services: Municipal Services / Town of Hillrose